Presenting the MGI Style Icon for September 2021, Abu Musa aka Amaruq on Instagram. He is a fashion model and a men’s fashion influencer on Instagram and creates content, especially for middle-aged men.
About Abu Musa aka Amaruq
Better known as “AMARUQ,” meaning the ‘GREY WOLF’, on Instagram, I am a 34 year old menswear and fashion content creator from Lucknow, preaching affordable ensembles that don’t break the bank.
My intention is to inspire men, especially the ones in their 30s, as this is the age to start giving back to themselves. With my content and outfit ideas, I wish to see ‘men’ breaking the street with their flow.
How did you get into the profession of being a model and an influencer?
As I entered my late 20s, I realized I am at that stage of my life which is all about wearing multiple hats and playing different roles in life. I had experience, knowledge, a higher wage bracket, but I didn’t want to be known as “the _____ guy.”
The guy who always wears training shoes to work, or the guy with that one stupid fedora he wears everywhere, no matter what the rest of his outfit is. I wanted to merge all my different roles and styles into one comprehensive wardrobe, and so, I started experimenting with my outfits.
I loved it. People around me loved it. They started asking what to match their jeans with; what to wear on their date night or for a casual outing. And I thought, why not level up the game and take my skills to a bigger platform? Ding, Dong! Came in Instagram. What started as an experiment, evolved into what it is today, and I am proud of it.
What does ‘fashion’ mean to you?
For me, fashion is encapsulating who we are on an everyday level, and how we project that through our outfits, accessories, and hairstyle. It is a language that tells our story by providing others with a shorthand to subtly read the surface of our personality.
3 Style Tips For Men From Abu Musa aka Amaruq
- Be it blazers, jackets, sweaters or overcoats, your top layer tends to define your look, since they’re the most prominent feature people see. Invest on them.
- Get out of the “jeans every day” mentality and you’ll have a more defined look than the vast majority of your peers. Stack up your wardrobe with Corduroys and chinos apart from your regular jeans.
- Never underestimate the transformative power of footwear. If there’s one underrated wardrobe upgrade every man should work on, it’s the shoes.
3 Must-Have Outfits For Middle-Aged Men
- Bespoke Suits: The spine of any wardrobe for middle-aged men. A suit is not just a suit, but also a blazer and trouser that can be split up and worn casually with denim, chinos and T-shirts.
- Polo shirts and tees (not your regular black or white ones). No reason not to own them. They can make you look younger and more fit if worn the right way.
- If you’re looking to level up your style game, switch your trainers with quality leather shoes and chelsea boots.
3 Outfits That Men Need To Avoid
- You deserve classic style. So ditch your multi-patterned shirts, tees, and pants. Instead, go for simple patterns of Plaids and stripes.
- If you aren’t athletic, don’t go for skinny fit. It is just not your style.
- Oversized tees and jeans, unless you’re a hip-hop star.
Advice For Middle-Aged Men Who Wish To Have A Makeover
- Grooming is an important part of the entire puzzle to help you tie in your overall look. Start with the right face and hair care. They Are equally important.
- Next, buy less, but better. Invest in quality outfits over quantity.
- Know the name of your tailor! Understand the importance of a good fit and get your clothes altered to fit you perfectly.
- Last but not the least, invest in accents – Perfumes, belts, wallet, watch, eyewear, tote bags. They instantly bump up the wow factor.
Choose outfits according to your skin tone. Don’t wear neon just because your favorite actor did. And don’t forget to match your belt with your shoes. For regular outfit inspiration, tips and hacks, MGI readers can follow me on Instagram @i_abumusa
That’s all from this month’s feature on ‘MGI Style Icons’. To check out our previous features, check out MGI Style Icons.